Witchy Goddess Inspired ways to celebrate Lammas
Come learn some simple ways to celebrate Lammas or Lughnassadh ,and little bit of magick. updated 8/1/2022
Hello it’s Norma, you know Forevrgoddess. Welcome and come celebrate with us the first harvest of season. Whew it’s been a hot Summer in Paris, Idaho this year. We normally have a good amount of rain storms, and hot somewhat humid days. The Sad part is we tend to get the smoke from other places where there are fires. And since this year our temps have been in above 100*f , we have fire ban up into any of areas or forest.
But worry not we still find ways to celebrate Lammas, Lughnassadh, every year. Since it summer time we do outdoor grilling, I make tinfoil dinners, and put them on our grill to cook. We use the fresh vegetable from our garden or market, and Them add to fresh meat to be cooked .
These days with heat we tend to go out side from our home once the sun get beyond the trees across the street. my son and daughter, will play with our puppy rose, or play with bubble and water guns. My daughter will grab some side walk chalk and draw pictures on our slate rock in front of our home.
With coming of first harvest, we tend to think of what were grateful for, lessons we have learned, new experiences we enjoyed and shared as family this past summer. with soon coming of first days of fall in September .
With winding of summer coming to end. It’s perfect time to do a little bit of smudging in the home, sometimes with the heat and bright sun, brings tempers and fights that don’t make happy if you hot and cranky.
And if you live in house that get hot a lot, then it hard to keep cool headed. We were lucky for cool morning since we leave windows open for most of the days. with coming of storms that we get from lake toward utah border can help the evening cool the house down. We would go soak our feet in creek next to house, but this year it’s dry, but worry not these are pools of water still in certain part of creek where wildlife come to drink. We’ve seen deer, elk and other small animals come by the home looking for water. We leave water out in our yard incase someone needs water.
To smudge a home is simple to do, I have 2 hand bells , I let the kids use them. I open a few windows that were closed . I go to my stove and light my 1 Palo Santo sticks , let it sit in flame of stove for it to give off smoke, and begin to cleanse the home. As the kids go from room to room ringing the bells. I walk in circle in the room whispering the intention of “Peace and Calm” every room, closet, bathroom, space. As I complete one room I come out of the door way of the room I draw a protection symbol or sigil to protect the room from negativity or ward against occasional spirit that passes thru my home.
When done I will push the smoke out the windows and doors. There are many types of smudging herbs, I prefer Palo Santo, the woody smell, and not as strong smelling White sage. You can use Cedar, Juniper, sweet grass.
Lets witchy talk about Lammas, lughnassadh
August 1st marks the Celtic holiday of Lughnassadh (pronounced loo-na-sa), also known as Lammas, August Eve, Ceresalia, Feast of Cardenas., and festival green corn. which is the beginning of the grain harvest.
Lughnassadh is the half way point between Summer solstice and autumn equinox. It’s the celebration of gathering garden vegetables, fruit. Fresh bread to made from grain. Lugh was great God of natural magick. The earth their mother was provided them once more with fruits and grains, they watch seed sprout, bud leaf, then flower. The sacred harvest represented, the sacrifice of the horned god as he manifests thru grain to sustain human life. Pagan priest would offer newly harvested crop as sacrifices, to the gods they would invoke God Lugh and his Goddess Danu to protect the harvest.
This is the season when everything seems at its richest = trees crops and long warm days. These are called the “dog days” of Summer, because Sirius (The Dog Star) rises and sets with the sun between mid-July and September.
The word “Lammas” comes from “loaf mass” which celebrates the bread made from the first grain to be harvested. It is in honor of the Corn Mother that we now eat fresh bread and cakes.
Lammas : we celebrate by baking bread and create with our hands to give thanks to Gaia or Mother earth. Lammas is holiday of Remembrance, and releasing. We reflect on what we have grown and what remains till fall.
I recently added my new Affirmation for this day , for you to use, copy on your phone and set it to pop on your calendar.
Gemstones for Lammas/ Lughnassadh
Here are the stone for Lammas , when charging or programming, you gemstone, keep in mind the goal or desire you wish to bring into your life. Help manifest this desire to life, say a prayer to your deity or Angels, Elemental, ask for their support to bless this new path you wish to journey on. Keep them in your pocket, purse or coin pocket as reminder what healing qualities you wish to be blessed at moment. Keep it so you can Draw their healing energy for this holiday or any other time.
Gemstone: Rose Quartz: Stone of love, tenderness, peace , self- love, Opens heart to true love and friendship, Unconditional love, Harmony , soothes anxiety, teaching true essence of love. Gentles healing from traumatic abuse or injury. self Love , Empathy , True Love Crystal Healing. learning to trust again after heartbreak. Raises Self esteem, radiates positive energies. it restores trust and harmony in relationships, encouraging unconditional love. Rose Quartz purifies and opens the heart at all levels to promote love, self-love, friendship, deep inner healing and feelings of peace. protects from depression and sleep disorders. Rose quartz also has benefits for fertility.
Gemstone : Carnelian : Career success, Grounding, motivation, personal power, helps with creativity. Good health, protection, Stop – negative energy, stimulates the conscious mind, Helps you focus on the present and current needs, helps over -come difficult times, Manifesting energy to have your desire come to life.
Gemstone: Tiger eye (Gold): Tiger eye: Self -confidence, helps getting you thru difficult stages in life. Helps with self- worth, self –criticism. Protection from ill will of others & Curses. Attracts Harmony, grounding , personal empowerment Creativity, Good luck, Wealth, wishing, wisdom, calming, psychic abilities, healing. inner confidence, wealth, wisdom, grounding.
Gemstone Citrine: Creativity, Happiness, cheerful, prosperity, warmth, spiritual growth, clear thinking, energy to manifest your desire to come to life, and initiative. Citrine opens the higher mind to accept joy in one’s life, releasing anger and negative feelings, deep-seated fears and destructive tendencies. An excellent crystal for overcoming depression,
Gemstone: Aventurine: Prosperity, good luck, Money ,creativity. Courage, Heals all, soothes heart ache, emotionally calming, Helps with mood disorders. Great for self -employed or new businesses
Gemstone: Quartz Crystal :, amplify of energy. Welcoming positive energy and ,clarity of thought. All healing , psychic protection Vision Quest, Protection, Cleanse aura, positive thought, and meditation. all healing, harmony, psychic awareness, protection, cleanses aura, mirrors to soul ,it helps us to see who we truly are free of limitations. powerful protection stone. Encourages clarity, draws and receives energy , , energizing, storing, releasing, and regulating it
Gemstone Unakite draws of negative energy. Removes obstacles to your personal growth, helps self -confidence, courage, and take control of life. Brings patience, calm anxiety, grief . helps find happiness& fulfilment in one’s life. helps over- come frustrations caused by setbacks. Up lifts your spirits when depressed. Balancing emotions. Helps you see the beauty in life
Gemstone: Amethyst: purple -all healing ( mind, Body , Spirit) inner peace, calming one’s mind. a sense of spiritual insight when in a deepen stage of meditations, protective stone esp psychic attacks, helps with grief or loss, releases tension. .Helps over- come bad habits tendencies, and calm anxiety attacks .
Candle magick : enjoy the light from flame. Spells in colors candles ( gold, yellow, pink, green, blue)
Each color has associated what you can do with color chime candles, there are more colors if you desire another color. Gemstone that work well with these candles.
Lammas Colors: brown –Reddish, gold, orange, purple, yellow, Green
Gold -solar God, Solar energy, sun, Prosperity, wealth , happiness, courage, setting boundaries, Good Health, Good luck, Attract and glow to summon the sun and any of it’s masculine energy. Gemstone: Tiger eye (Gold): Tiger eye: Self -confidence, helps getting you thru difficult stages in life. Helps with self- worth, self –criticism. Protection from ill will of others & Curses. Attracts Harmony, grounding , personal empowerment Creativity, Good luck, Wealth, wishing, wisdom, calming, psychic abilities, healing.
ORANGE: Encouragement, adaptability, stimulation, attraction, sudden changes, control, power, to draw good things, change luck.
PURPLE: Success, idealism, higher psychic ability, wisdom, progress, protection, honors, spirit contact, break bad luck, drive away evil, divination.
BROWN :Attract money and financial success, influence earth elementals, concentration, balance, ESP, intuition, study, familiars.
Green- prosperity, abundance , healing, growth, finding balance, renewal. Gemstone: Aventurine: Prosperity, good luck, Money ,creativity. Courage, Heals all, soothes heart ache, emotionally calming, Helps with mood disorders. Great for self -employed or new businesses
Yellow : communications, knowledge, the arts and crafts, inspiration. Gemstone Citrine: Creativity, Happiness, cheerful, prosperity, warmth, spiritual growth, clear thinking, and initiative.
Magickal Activities for this time of year : baking, family, friendship , Accomplishment, challenges, darkness, death, endings, release, transformation. growth, marriage, nurture patience, protection, warmth. Agriculture, divinations, fertility, solar magick, sun power, , feasting with the sun, fertility, good health, luck, abundance, prosperity, gardening , preparation for fall/ winter, thankful for..
Lammas Goddess: Aine, Ceres, Demeter, Ereshkigal, Freya, Frigg, Ianna, Ishtar, Kore. Persephone, Auset, Hestia, Danu,
Lammas Gods: Dumuzi, Lugh, Odin, Bran
Way to connect with Lammas energy and their Goddesses and Gods.
-Consider doing a star gazing party with candle and simple treats, look for Draco or 6 sisters constellations
- consider have evening potluck with witchy friends and family, with new moon waxing to full moon consider doing a ritual to set goals to do this month .
- do a self care ritual bath with Epson salt, rose petals and gemstones. add some essential oils to the mix and candles , sit back relax, and reflect what this summer has brought to you.
• Create a blessing journal , to write your thought your grateful that the goddess / Gods have bless your home, family and life. Even if they seems little or silly it’s ok if you do it often you can look bad on rainy or sad day, it might even calm your moods by looking at the brighter side of life
• Go get massage, look for local massage therapy school might offer discounts, for massage give student people work on.
- Create prosperity and abundance crystal grid in your home, use tiger eye, pyrite, aventurine, citrine, and other prosperity gemstones.
- Create friendship ritual, have friend come over and celebrate what their friendship means to you . give gifts of rose quartz to each other and bless them for each friend. Bless it with friendship , love, harmony, and peace
• Sit in the Sun for 20 mins, wear sunscreen if needed, feel the warmth of the sun, recharge feel all the solar power banishing the negative, frustration, sad thoughts. Think on the bright side of life.
• To take the moment to reconnect, go to Safe place, park, woods, sea shore, stream, take your shoes off feel the grass , dirt , sand beneath your feet. Feel the wind in your hair, close your eye hear the calls of natures. Even if your in a big city, find a safe spot and reconnect. Meditate even if it’s 10 mins , breathe in love, harmony, light, exhale negative emotions, sadness, frustration. Ask for guidance, tell her what you need help with, like Gods, the Goddess , she our very essence She part of us all, she has so many names to be called by. Look up a specific goddess you’ve chosen,, look closely to your type of belief, ( Celtic, Hindu, European, African , Asian, there no wrong or right goddess for you.)
Other Ways to celebrate Lammas / Lughnassadh
- Do a divination with tarot cards or runes, see what will coming for the Fall season, do solar magick, and work with light of moon, sit outside in bonfire, give offerings of flowers, food, sage or cedar, and thank the Gods/ goddess for all they’ve given you. I do offer Lammas intuitive reading sessions, look to the link below
• Take walks with nature changing in your wooded area Feel warmth of the day , collect a Sheaf’s of wheat and make a wreath or a beautiful door hanging décor, Altar, or decorate place somewhere within the home have your family decorate ,
- Spend time at beach with family, take do small water ritual. Release your sorrows or burdens to water, write the words with stick, ask Goddesses of water and ocean to wipe away your problems. As the water rushes in and wipes away the words. Be released of that burden. Ask for water to heal you if needed. When done give thanks to goddess give offering of flowers, gemstones, even hand made items. Walk into the water let the wave swept in and take away what you have in your hands.
- if you go on hikes or go to beach ,Collect rocks and paint them, give them as gifts to others.
• Make Air Dry Clay Ornaments , use rubber stamps , metal charms ,or cookie cutters and Stamp out shapes and design. and place them on your altar to dry, write with colored marker or paint a design or in one word what your thankful for. Poke a hole thru it, tie a string and hang it where you can see it everyday.as you paint and create the ornament consider working magick charm paint on dry clay or carve into the before they dry. Keep them safe and hang them on your yule tree.
• Create Memories with family and friend and Bake Lammas sugar cookies or bake Bread, talk about what you grateful for or just spend time with them. Have Cookie decorating party ( our Sabbat Lammas and any other Wiccan sabbats cookie cutter and recipe box set is available check the boutique Lammas ritual blessings )
• Time to reflect this time of year what Lammas means to you, What do you want to give up and let go , so the season of autumn you can start fresh. , try finding balance within one’s life ( work, family, school, children, etc) and what goals you want to set for this month full moon, and preparing for Mabon in September
- go to Farmers market, enjoy and but the fruit of this season has to offer, drink Ice tea made under the moon with friends and family , create a day or night for potluck, share sweet goodies,
• Collect wild flowers, Do some Lammas crafts with Family and Friends ( look on Pinterest.com for idea) Go to Late summer Festival, Enjoy the fruits and favorite foods we enjoy this time of year, did someone say “Lavender Lemonade…” Nothing to big , just Go enjoy the Beauty of ending of summer .
Books to read :
Llewellyn Sabbats Almanac ( any Year will have Beltane and the collectible each year)
Sabbats by Edain McCoy, The Wiccan Year By Judy Ann Nock
Enjoy the Beginning of spring, Blessing of Love and Light – N
Living wicca –Scott Cunningham
Wicca for one- Raymond buckland
May this Season of Lammas Bless you with Abundance, love, good health, and little wealth. Brightest blessings – N
Leave a Reply